1/17/16

Facing fears: Climbing (And an announcement!)

I told you in my last blog post that one of the scary things I would do in 2016 was to go somewhere high. Well, last friday I went climbing with my friends and while it was fun and exciting, I was so terrified I felt like I was going to throw up.

Since I was eight or something, I've known that I'm scared of heights. I was in a park, playing with some people from my class. So, I was up in this jungle gym, and a boy told me to jump down. But I couldn't. Suddenly I realized that I was too afraid to get down from there. And that's when it began, my fear of heights.


I'm a very stubborn person, so even if I knew it would be hard for me, I decided that I would climb. And it was really, really hard. I climbed up on the climbing wall, slowly and carefully. But when I was supposed to let go and jump to come down, panic struck me. My hands started sweating, and my legs turned into noodles. I was nauseated. I was stuck. Just like when I was eight.

I took a few deep breaths and started climbing downward, because jumping wasn't even an option. Coming down I felt exhilarated, empowered, strong. I had made it.

After that I tried to climb a few other walls, but didn't succeed. It was too frightening. I saw my friends climb and climb, not scared at all, while my stomach was hurting so bad, and my legs weren't working.

I managed to climb up a tunnel-kind-of wall. It was dark inside, and you couldn't really see where you were going, or where you had came from. I thought it'd be easier, because I wouldn't be able to see the ground. But it wasn't much easier...

The feeling I had when I climbed can't be described. I'm usually good with words but this time they fail me. I was happy but terrified at the same time. I was so scared that it felt like my heart would actually pop out of my chest and land three metres below me.

But I did it. I climbed. I faced my fear, even though I didn't get rid of it.

When I think about it, I'm not sure if I want to get rid of this fear at all. Fearing heights make me who I am. And I'm all about being yourself.

Go out there and live, and always be you. But if a part of you keeps you from doing something you desire, get rid of it. Don't ever let yourself be stopped by anything.

Have the most amazing weekend!
Em, queen of notebooks.
<3

!!Very important!!
Today I published the first chapter/part of my novel Poisoned Fire on Wattpad, and I'd love it if you all would check it out :) It's the perfect story for anyone who loves intense fantasy stories with a lot of plot twists and magic. I've been working on this project for a long time now, and if you'd just give the first chapter a read, it would make me so happy and grateful. Thanks! :D
Here's the link: The Coolest And Most Epic Story Ever
And here's my Wattpad profile: Em The Crazy Teen Book Nerd (Go and follow me so that you can keep up with all the stupid things I do).


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations of the climb even though this is a late comment. Keep on completing goals and live life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! :) Sorry for taking so long to reply!

      Delete